New Gate Installation
Automatic driveway gates are perfect for use on homes; they provide both privacy and security, These qualities add to the value of your property. Garage Service Pros provide a full line of custom fabricated gates that can either be manual or automated for your convenience. We carry a full line of residential and commercial gate operators for every application. We can also service any brand of gate operator and we sell, service and install controlled access devices such as telephone entry systems, intercom systems, card readers, remote transmitters, etc. Vehicle detection devices are used to detect vehicles near your gate system and trigger an action. They can either open the gate, reverse the gate if it’s moving, activate a keypad, send an alert, and much more.
Electric or automatic gates are growing increasingly popular for residential homes and businesses. While it’s not necessary for a gate to be electric, automatic gates are easy-to-use and can enhance the security and curb appeal of your property. Residential gates can be designed to compliment your home and can be fabricated from a wide variety of materials, such as wood, iron, fiberglass, aluminum or a number of other materials. Wrought iron gates provide security and beauty to your home. Additionally, steel or metal security gates can be custom fabricated to match the style of any home. Gates can also be designed and made with wood or wood inserts that are durable, beautiful, and provide additional privacy. Custom gates can be made to your exact specifications or you can choose from one of our many existing designs.
When it comes to automatic gates, there’s a big difference between just automating a gate and creating a reliable, lasting, and safe automated system.
Automatic Gate Components
In addition to the design of the gate itself, customization and fabrication costs need to be considered when choosing an entry gate system. Different components and functionality need to be considered, too.
- Posts – Posts should be installed in a concrete footer that is “belled out” on the bottom at the proper depth. The concrete footers must be below the frost line or the posts will eventually work loose
- Hinges – The smoother that the gate swings manually then the less wear and tear on the operating equipment. Check out Shut It Gate Hardware for some of the best hinges on the market.
- Gate – Material costs and design are instrumental to the gate’s aesthetic qualities. Different materials include wood, iron, fiberglass, aluminum, steel and combinations of these materials. The size of the gate and its functions determine the types of mechanical options.
- Entry systems – a variety of entry systems and components can be implemented to provide security.
Automatic Gate Operation
There are two primary ways that driveway gates operate, either by swinging or sliding. A majority of residential driveway gates swing open because it takes up significantly less space beside the driveway than a sliding door. Although it’s a bit more expensive, an automatic sliding gate might just be what you’re looking for, if you have the room to spare.
The cost of an automatic sliding gate depends on the size of the gate and its style.
Here are different types of sliding and swing gates:
Slide V Track
Slide V Track is the most common and reliable slider and comes with many different options. However, in areas with significant amounts of ice and snow, it may not be the best option. It also requires additional space on each side.
Slide Rear Pipe
This option is inexpensive and easily converted from manual to automatic. As with other sliding gates, it requires additional space on each side. It is not considered as attractive as other options and the installer needs to be familiar with the particulars of the gate.
This easy-to-use option is great for situation where the gate needs to suspended off the ground. But, it requires much more space than any other sliding gate option.
The most common types of residential swing gate operators are linear actuators and harmonic arms. These automatic gate systems differ in functionality and installation price.
Linear Actuators are rear-mounted to the post which the gate hangs from.Less expensive to buy & install. But, they can be easily damaged from minor collisions and has a shorter lifespan than harmonic arms.
Harmonic Arm operators are mounted on a solid surface behind the gate posts. Many actuators come with brackets that can be bolted on. Garage Service Pros recommend welding the brackets for increased reliability. The harmonic arm has a longer lifespan than linear actuators, is rated for more daily cycles, and incurs less damage from minor collisions. It is also more expensive to install and requires a larger footprint.
Gate Entry Systems
Automatic driveway gates are perfect for use on homes and businesses. Vehicle detection devices are used to detect vehicles near your gate system and trigger an action. They can either open the gate, reverse the gate if it’s moving, activate a keypad, send an alert, and much more. The addition of a remote control operator can cost between $550-$4,500, increasing the overall cost.
Here are some options for installing an automatic driveway entry gate system:
- Probes – Probes are devices that are buried either next to or in the roadway. They are not ideally used to reverse the gate but work well for triggering the gate to open, however, they are often more prone to lightning damage.
- Optex – Optex vehicle sensors are mounted on a post near the side of the roadway.
- Loop – A loop is recommended to use a loop in most cases. Ituses a combination of a detector and a precisely placed wire installed under the roadway surface. For asphalt and concrete roadways, the surface can be saw-cut and wire placed. For gravel roadways, a properly rated pre-formed loop works great.
- Key pad – A keypad allows operation of the gate from a specifically programmed access code. Hardwired keypads are ideal if you do not wish to replace any batteries, but wireless keypads do work great and batteries can last several years, depending on usage.
- Telephone – For visitors or deliveries that require access a telephone or intercom system can be installed. A traditional telephone entry system requires a phone line (either shared or dedicated) to make the phone call. Cellular telephone entry systems are also available for locations with good cellular reception. Cellular units are generally more expensive but may be a better option if installing a telephone line will be burdensome. Cellular units are also less susceptible to lightning surges than the traditional telephone entry systems.
- Solar Power – An automatic gate entry and operation system requires a reliable power source. In most cases, a dedicated electrical circuit (115v/240v) is ideal. If power is not available at the gate location, then a certified electrician will be required for installing a new circuit. Solar power is not as reliable as AC power, but is feasible in some cases. It is recommended to install solar panels in areas that have at least 6 hours of sunlight per day. The type and number of batteries are also an essential part for a properly designed solar entry and operation system.
- Safety options — all gates should be equipped with safety features.
- Photo eyes are the most common safety device used on gate systems. They should be installed as close to the gate as possible to avoid a pedestrian from being trapped by the gate. They work in a similar fashion as garage door photo eyes.
- A retro-reflective photo eye will have a powered device on one side of the road and a reflector on the opposite side. This makes for a simple installation, especially when getting wire to the opposite side of the road is difficult. Retro-reflective photo eyes can be problematic with rain and fog, however, since the reflector may be unable to reflect back to the main unit.
- Safety Edge – Another form of safety device is a safety edge. These are electronic rubber bumpers that stop the gate if they encounter an obstacle. These are less commonly used on swing gates as they distract from the appearance.
- Emergency Services – It is advisable to install an option for emergency personnel to enter the property without waiting at the gate. In most cases, a KNOX switch (a county-specific key switch) or a siren operated sensor (SOS) can be installed.
When it comes to the installation of an automatic gate, the cost varies tremendously based on the type and style of the gate system, as well as the materials. Making sure your gate is safe and functional can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days, depending on its size and style. Additionally. there are additional costs for the automated system installation. Garage Service Pros will ensure that your gate system is installed properly. We take into consideration the manufacturers’ recommendations, safety codes and proper welding and wiring procedures. These are vital when installing a long-lasting automated gate system.
No matter what the problem is, Garage Service Pros, will help keep your garage door and entry gates in excellent working condition. We have been servicing the garage door industry for years and we know what is causing your garage door to not work properly. Save yourself the time and hassle and give us a try.
If you have an emergency with your garage door or garage door opener, please give us a call 24 Hours for service 7 Days a Week. Garage Service Pros is insured and offers 24/7 emergency service. To learn more about Garage Service Pros call us at (800)528-6034 or schedule repair service online »